With the 2012 Summer Olympics in full swing, the impressive dedication and athleticism required to compete is impressive. Going for the gold is an athlete’s dream and the years of hard work for that one moment every 4 years is a lot of pressure! Watching the games can get you motivated to get off the couch and get moving.
Here are 5 tips you can apply to either reach your own fitness goals or your life goals.
- Have a specific goal. Start with a simple step whether it’s to lose 5lbs in a month or to do 30 minutes of exercise a day. Keep the goal reachable and you’ll be more motivated to achieve it.
- Know when to take a break. Don’t push yourself so hard that you sacrifice sleep, proper nutrition or risk burning out.
- Be resilient. Everyone has setbacks. How you deal with them is what makes the difference between achieving your goals and giving up. Plan for failure, and obstacles and you’ll be much better equipped mentally to handle and bounce back from it.
- Do something you love. If you plan on losing weight then find something you like doing. IF running on a treadmill sounds like a nightmare don’t do it! Do something for the pure joy you get out of it and you’ll find that not only do you look forward to it but you’ll stick to it.
- Be Flexible. It’s very easy to get distracted or have obstacles come into your life. But when you have short-term goals that will help you achieve your longer term ones, adapting is paramount. Understand that everything is not going to go smoothly so be able to adjust accordingly when life throws you a curve ball.
Olympians have tough physical and mental threshold, the love of competition and desire for self-improvement is inspiring. Are you enjoying the Olympics?
Thanks for reading,
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!