It’s the time of the year when the stores become flooded with shoppers and families begin to gather to start celebrating the holidays. While many of us are lucky to have friends and family near to celebrate with, it’s important to remember that there are many who are less fortunate.
This holiday season, ask yourself how you can not only spread goodness to the ones you love, but throughout your community:
- Can you donate a toy to Toys For Tots or similar local toy drive?
- Do you have a few extra cans of food in your cupboard that you won’t eat? Why not drop them off at a local food bank ?
- Do you have a few extra hours to spare? Try volunteering at a local community center, soup kitchen, children’s center, or hospital.
- Donate blood– 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 lives. Learn more
- Lend a hand to a local animal shelter (or donate blankets, towels, or pet food)
Sites like “Volunteer Match” are great resources in pairing up volunteers with their interests—and, making them fun.
And, if you want to share your goodness with the world, you can share your “purple acts of kindness” with the world by posting them on http://kindness.yahoo.com – here, you’ll also find links to the Global Giving project and the DonorsChoose project.
So with all of these resources at your fingertips, what gift do you plan on giving your community this holiday season?
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!