Earlier this month as part of Yahoo! On the Road, we gave our community a chance to ask the band fun. questions. And you didn’t disappoint us! As always we got some great questions from our community. Ben Lyons exclusively got a chance to sit with the band of the breakthrough single “We are Young,” and ask a few of your questions.
Here are their answers:
1. Tasia Asks: I just would like to know what your favorite thing to do is while on tour as a band?
“One of my favorite things is when everybody on the tour (band, crew, etc.) goes out to dinner together. It’s always a great time. We also like to play basketball, check out whatever city we’re in, and watch Game of Thrones.”
2. Redunicorn Asks: Was it fun to be on the Colbert Report?
“Yes, absolutely. We’re big fans and it was an honor.”
3. Spiderwebs Asks: What country do you like traveling to ? what’s special about it ?
“I think we find something we love about whatever country we’re in. And usually for me, “my favorite” just means “wherever we just were.” Really, everywhere has been great, and we feel very lucky to get to see the world and play music.”
4. DerpFace Asks: All of your songs are really great! But which of your song’s do you think best describes your life?
“This changes for me from day to day. A lot of Nate’s lyrics are personal, but he also crafts other stories into them in a way I really love. I think “Some Nights” resonates the most with me lately.”
5. April Asks: Do you guys have a ritual you do before a performance? If so, what is it?
“We don’t have a specific ritual, we just make sure we spend some time together before we go on stage. We usually don’t get too sentimental or anything, but it’s nice to just hang out and get on the same wavelength.”
6. Louis Chen Asks: My question: Do you listen to classical music?
“Yes, quite a bit. My favorite composer is Claude Debussy.”
7. Bella Asks: Have you guys ever pulled pranks on each other? If so, what pranks?
“Yes, we even formed a Prank Team a few years ago. It was a successful team but only had one official meeting. We also formed a Cigar Club that had zero official meetings.”
8. Cory asked why is your name fun, yet you sing depressing songs?
“Part of our fear when we chose our name was that people would expect us to sound like a party, or would think that there wouldn’t be a weight or depth to what we do. But as songwriters we try to balance things all the time – lighthearted instrumentation against lyrics that might be darker or more introverted, or songs about questioning who you are that make you want to sing along. It’s a great challenge and ultimately we like the name a lot.”
9. Soccer Queen asked Do you have “FUN” with your profession?
“Every single day. Touring can be exhausting, but there’s nothing like seeing the world with your best friends, playing music, and hearing people sing along.”
10. endpov asked Are you afraid of going deaf, do you have plan(s) for avoiding deafness and have you heard of the new treatment for tinnitis? Oh, and thanks for your contribution to music and keep playing !
“It’s a big fear. We wear earplugs any time we can, and use in-ear monitors to minimize excess noise while we play. We know how fragile the hearing system is and we want to keep ours in good shape.”
Thanks for reading,
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!